The ABB Ability™ Smart Sensor is like a fitness wristband for electric motors – it monitors the operational performance and the health of your motor using technology that is a true game changer.
Here’s everything you need to know.
- It fits easily to any rib-cooled induction motor without machining or wiring
- Use it to boost your operations, digital strategy and service business in a way that was not possible before
- The benefits in safety, downtime, and risk mitigation can be huge, as well as the savings in energy and operational cost
- Payback time expected to be less than one year in most cases
- With IoT-technology the sensor does things at a low cost that were unthinkable a few years ago
This is why we love it.
- It’s improving safety. Smart Sensors can improve safety because maintenance inspections can be done from a distance.
- The reliability is unparalleled. Smart Sensors support a move from reactive to proactive maintenance and reduce downtime by up to 70%.
- Reduce energy costs! Smart Sensors support plant upgrades that can reduce energy consumption with up to 10%.
- Reduce maintenance costs! Smart Sensors can reduce the need for technicians to spend time on unnecessary travel and maintenance inspections, and helps to avoid preventable repair work.
- Motors live longer. Smart Sensors will eliminate surprises, allow better planning and reduce the need for expensive spare motor stocks and redundant installations. Motors with Smart Sensors can live up to 30% longer.
- Mitigates risk. Smart Sensors can help to mitigate risks such as warranties, uptime guarantees and transportation.
Smart Sensor Features
- UL & CUL Safe Area certified
- IP66 rating
- Multi-sensor system- accelerometers, temperature, magnetic field
- BlueTooth low energy communication (10-80 ft range depending on surroundings)
- Firmware over-the-air. Get additional features by updating firmware with cellphone
Here are the motors the Smart Sensor is ideal for:
- Standard 3-phase LV induction motors
- Rib-cooled frame, TEFC
- Safe area
- 140-440 NEMA, 160-450 IEC frames
- S1 duty
- Fixed speed & low dynamic VFD (Follow link for directions)
- Overall vibration
- Tangential vibration
- Radial vibration
- Axial vibration
- Skin temperature
- Bearing condition
- Regreasing advice
- Energy consumption
- Number of starts
- Operating hours
- Supply frequency
Eliminating downtime, eliminating surprises, and increasing savings. The off-the-charts benefits of this sensor make it one of our favorite new products.
To learn more, contact our team for additional info! We can help you decide if your motor is a good candidate for the ABB Ability™ Smart Sensor.